The Absolutes of the Gospel

Photo by Dave Hoefler on Unsplash

 

Aferrarnos to the absolute truths of the Gospel can provide us with the solid grounds we need to navigate the shifting sands of life
I like the word aferrar. It is a verb that implies holding on to something/someone with the strength of the iron, with an iron-clad determination, and that no matter what, we will not let go. The ending "nos" indicates that it is us who are doing the action described by the verb.

The here and now is particularly good at throwing curveballs at us, isn't it? The veracity of some ideas I have had for a long while has been challenged, recently, creating a small vortex of confusion and a sizable amount of questions, for me. Navigating this fog of war has not been easy and it has not been pain-free, but the steady light of the Gospel of Grace has given me direction and hope and rest. The comforts that come from the unchangeable truths of the Good News were not only what I needed at the time, but I know they will provide a solid ground under my feet so that I can keep on going.

I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he inclined to me and heard my cry.
He drew me up from the pit of destruction,
    out of the miry bog,
and set my feet upon a rock,
    making my steps secure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
    a song of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear,
    and put their trust in the Lord. - Psalm 40:1-3


 What are these Absolutes of the Gospel I am talking about? Here they are:


  • I am dead to the world, but I am alive in Him.
  • The here and now is not my home.
  • My identity and my inheritance are secure in Him, forever.
  • I belong to Him and He is mine.

No amount of failure in this life will ever change these Absolutes; no amount of success in this life could possibly increase their glory or my delight in them, either.


Life, bring it on. Because of the Beautiful Gospel of Grace, I am ready for you.


- AV

Comments

Popular Posts