Surprised by Friendship

Photo by Tegan Mierle on Unsplash


No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.

The Gospel according to John, Chapter 15


That is the twist in the Story, isn't it? I mean, I do understand - or I can begin to understand - that He, the God of All Peace and Glory, demands perfect justice. I do understand His law and precepts and statutes are perfect.

He is the Triune God, after all.

I also understand the label my own sin has placed on my heart: Enemy of God. And it is totally my own fault; I did it to myself and I have no one else to blame.

I even get the gist of His work of salvation on my behalf; I mean, He is God, right? And He is merciful, right? And I'm OK accepting the fact that He redeems me but that, at the same time, He desires to keep the distance between the both of us.

Who wouldn't do it like that?

Who wouldn't keep it all professional, all business, getting results but without the need for an involvement that is too personal?

Jehovah, that's who!

By His grace He has redeemed me, and He loves me, and He knows me, and He calls me His friend.

His friend!!!

This Friendship, then, gives a new dimension to His whole work of redemption. It's also a determining factor in my Spirit-given incline toward holiness. And when I sin, my mortification is deeper... I have sinned against my Friend!

It is my Friend who has reconciled me back to Him.

It is my Friend who suffered pain and humiliation to pay off my debt.

It is my Friend who walks with me and who carries me in my weakness.


And it is my Friend who waits for me on the other side of the Finish Line of this life, who will receive me with the words - undeserved but secured by His Beauty - "Well done, good and faithful servant; enter into my joy and peace."


Do you know this Friend of mine?


-AV



Comments

Popular Posts