The Hope He gives despite the death I produce

Photo by Osama Khan on Unsplash

Despite your Beauty, I sin;

There is no logic to it, no truth, no need.

But I sin.

Guilt and shame come, flooding my heart.

They ram, again and again, against the fortification

  of my heart, cracking it.

Why is this happening? Why did I fall?

There is no logic to it, no truth, no need.

Only death.

No deeper pit; no darker corner, no lonelier place.

But even there, your grace reaches.

Even there, your mercies are effective.

It is not because of any contribution on my part,

 but because of the certainty your Beauty has demonstrated,

that I cry out "Have mercy on me, a sinner!"

The death I produce cannot overcome the hope you give.

Then I see your Beauty in action, giving more evidence 

  of its efficiency.

And while I wait for You, in between the Already and Not Yet,

   by the Spirit, repentance, confession, life arrive.


-AV


Comments

Popular Posts