Respect, no compromise, is the secret sauce for political engagement.

Tiago Felipe Ferreira on Unsplash

A lot has been said about the need of compromise, if we want to see anything done in the public arena. I am not sure how I feel about that statement, but I know that before reaching such an agreement - in a God-honoring way - I must first show respect to those a disagree with.

My fear is that without respect my compromise may turn into hypocrisy, or into a reason to jettison my passions without due diligence.  
 
Now, then, let me do like Socrates and go over some Q&A, to explain my point.

What is / is not respect?

  • It is not universalism.
  • It is desired by everyone 
  • It is not a call to give up your values.

Why should you show respect? Because... 

  • It acknowledges God's work among all human beings.
  • Great ideas can be poorly implemented.
  • Respect is anchored on humility, and humility is a hallmark of a follower of Jesus Christ

How do you know you are being respectful?

  • Your emotions are under control
  • People you disagree with may be incline to reciprocate.
  • You enjoy God's peace regardless of the results.


CONSIDER THIS

What is your biggest obstacle to show respect to others and to their ideas?


Comments

Popular Posts