Markers of Spiritual Formation

 



Photo by Neil Fedorowycz on Unsplash

One of the biggest mistakes we humans can make, in this life, is to live casually, to live with a disregard of what is happening around us and what is to come. Often we do focus on a specific area of life, e.g. health, finances, relationships, work, etc. and we keep tabs on how we are making progress in what, clearly, is our treasure.

Spiritual formation, the work of God the Holy Spirit in our own heart, is worthy of paying attention to. Here we have the True Living God, the Triune God of the Universe, at work in us, and contemplating such a sight should rank higher than anything else. Now, His work may be evident only to each of us - it may not be a public sight - but it is there! It does not matter if no one else can see it, but its presence is a solid source of encouragement, peace, and joy for ourselves.

So, how do I know? What evidence should I look for, in my own heart, that points to His faithful work in me?

In His inerrant Word, Jehovah provides for us a description of that evidence; it is call the fruit of the Spirit, and it can be found in the letter to the Galatians. Here it is, with its context, from chapter 5:

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.


Italics added for emphasis.

I personally find it useful to summarize the work of the Spirit under three markers, prominent in the ministry of our Lord Jesus Christ, God the Son. As I follow the Discipleship Pathway we use at our local congregation, I look for those markers to evaluate my own spiritual formation. More than grades, they are markers on a trail, reminding me God is at work in me, and that He is keeping me going on the right direction.

The markers of spiritual formation I am talking about are humility, compassion, and generosity. 


CONSIDER THIS

  • How do you know?

 

Comments

Popular Posts