Two different metrics to deal with Frustration

Image generated with Gencraft

 

I recently faced one of the biggest challenges ever in my ministry: we had to close down the local church we started in 2008 :-( The struggle with my pain reminded me of the need for wisdom to address Frustration - the difference between what I believe should happen and what is really happening.


This wisdom I am talking about is a fruit of His work in me, and it signals the level of maturity His work of sanctification is reaching in my heart. Nope, this is not a recipe for a pain-free life, but the way to confront reality while cultivating a grateful heart, a heart not paralyzed by a truncated view of what is True.


So, these are the two elements of that wisdom:

Consider the approaching glory and regard the here and now with the importance it deserves.

As humble followers of God the Son, we must switch between two metrics to get the whole picture.


The failure of my ministry does not change one eternal thing: I still belong to Him, He is still mine, and I am heading toward His glory. The collapse of my local congregation does not alter His plan nor spoil His work of Redemption.  


That is the view when I set my metrics to "Approaching Glory."


It allows me to talk about failure and collapse without despair or hopelessness.


Now, setting the metric to "Here and Now"... 


I am hurt, sad, and even depressed due to this failure. There were things I did not do right. But considering the Approaching Glory, I can learn from what happened; I can learn more about Him and the condition of my heart. I must admit my failures, ask for His help and forgiveness, and then, secure in Him, I must re-engage.


 How do you deal with Frustration?


May the Triune God make His face shine upon y'all.

-AV


Comments

Popular Posts